Saturday, December 5, 2009

Why Bookmarks?

Some years ago when I was very much wanting to do knitted lace but was quite afraid of it, someone suggested I create a bookmark from a random lace pattern. Seriously? It didn't do too well. The needle size was all off, I don't think I used the right yarn. The point about bookmarks being a good place to start did make sense though.

When Laura and I started out, the first kit idea that I had was a lace bookmark. We ended up trying different patterns, different yarns and needle sizes and finally came up with a couple that we really really like. There's a density to the lace that allows it to hold up to actually be used as a bookmark. I created graphs for each one and finally, we got some beautiful little Palmwood needles from Laurel Hill.
I realized though that a lot of the more time intensive fiber arts that one might want to try have the same issue. How do I create something beautiful, satisfying and usable?

Our needlepoint kits are 20 stitches to the inch using pearle cotton threads. Tiny stitches like this are not printed on canvas, but a graph, just like a knitting graph is used to create the pattern. You start in one corner and move forward in any direction, counting as you go, much like a colorwork sweater.

Hmmmm. That's where I went next with it by creating the snowflake bookmark from an Alice Starmore knitting book. A simple snowflake that I could color any way I wanted.
There is something infinitely relaxing and focused about needlepoint. When I learned as a child with heavier canvas and wool, I liked the process but not the product. These shiny little cotton jewels are quite another thing. I dare you to not love it and become obsessed!
Lastly, we had an entry of a kit that was knitted cotton with beads. I had always wanted to use beads in knitting but just didn't want to bother with stringing the beads and finding all the right materials. This kit comes with the beads already strung on! Now the interesting trick is that the beads always want to fall the the bottom, or purl side of your work. This heart design is actually worked with beads on the front and back. Ingenious! It gives it more weight and drape and there's no "wrong side".
Have I convinced you? Well, we so much want you to try these kits that we're having a sale on them right now. Give them a go, give them as a really really cool gift and marvel at the new thing you can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment