Thursday, December 10, 2009

Craft Monogamy?


Don't even go there with me!
Yeah, we joke about it all the time.We have to "control" ourselves so that we don't "spread ourselves too thin" among our "hobbies". I seriously dislike the work "hobby" to begin with. It deems such a diminutive word. Oh yes, you"dabble" in several hobbies.

Most of us in the fiber-arts would even use the word "hobby" or "dabble". In fact, we own our skills in a serious way. We say, "I'm a knitter. I"m a spinner." "I'm a sewer." Perhaps that's where this idea of of craft monogamy comes from. We are afraid of our identities becoming "diluted" in some way.

I say this: You are a Fiber Artist.

When I was a kid, it never occurred to me that I should focus on one particular craft, become really good it and and then...? This concept of focusing on one thing only came along when I hit college, and then, it wasn't very popular with me.

We started this company because we believe in the idea of "cross-training" fiber arts people. Knowing how to sew will positively affect your knitting skills. Knowing needlepoint will help you to create knitting graphs. It's endless.

We advertise monthly in Piecework magazine from Interweave. If you're not familiar with it, you should be! It's about the history of what we do as fiber artists and projects that are just unbelievable. Some are pretty ambitious, and many them marry several different fiber skills. There's always something for me to reach for in its pages. To grow in my Craft. My Art.

3 comments:

  1. I agree. I'm a Fiber Artist. I knit, spin, felt, dye, do cross stitch and needle point, and I'm experimenting with woolen art dolls. My skills overlap to improve my overall Craft, and I'm always looking for new ways to experiment with technique.

    Specialization is for insects! :-D

    Great post!

    --Blair Qualls
    Color Fest Fiber Arts, LLC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear! Hear! I'm always happy to see people who refuse to define themselves by one skill set.
    FiberCamp Boston is another example of acknowledging the multifaceted way we play with fiber. Any chance we'll see you there?
    http://boston.fibercamp.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not even just about fiber: I started off with knitting then sewing and now I make soap and candles and these have brought me to box, card and embellishment making.

    ReplyDelete