Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Spinning like a Top

I came to spinning by way of the drop spindle, but unlike many other spinners I now, I spent at least a year using just that. I did not go out and drop some bucks on a spinning wheel. Spinning came to me with "restrained passion". I wanted to do it all the time, but I had no real vision of what would come to it. I just knew it was WAY fun. It was different than all the other things I was doing fiber-wise in terms of motor skills and attention span.

This is some of the first "presentable" yarn I turned out on my first spindle.

Now I have a weird old one-of-a-kind wheel and another one on loan. But, by way of the drop spindle, I have become a bit of an "enabler extraordinaire". I take my spindle with me to the park in the Spring and Summer and kids always ask to touch and watch and learn. I see people trying to learn to drop spindle with the old CD and dowel method. There's really not enough weight to make it work well. When one tries a new craft, I think that using the best materials you can afford is the way to go.

This is some of the last yarn I spun.

We had plenty of offers for a drop spindle kit when we started. They all looked like something else out there.: Kinda boring. Basic can still be pretty! So, we found this one and I, the spinner, just fell in love. It's top whorl, which means that the round disk is on the top and the yarn gets wound below it as it gets spun. It's really balanced which means you get it to spin pretty fast and for a long time. AND it comes with some alpaca and a book. What more do you need?
If you've been thinking about trying your hand at spinning for a while, this is the perfect place to start. And if at anytime you folks out there need help with any of our kits, all you have to do is email us and we'll be glad to help you out. We've tested everything we sell, personally and feel confident that you'll have crafting success with all our projects.!

1 comment:

  1. That is a really lovely spindle. If I didn't already have two spindles, I'd seriously consider it! (I know; people have many more. But currently I'm not spinning much; too many fun things vying for my attention right now.)

    ReplyDelete