Thursday, November 26, 2009

A Whiter Shade of Pale

The start of the white theme was really this little silvery tree.
Then, while the Macy's Parade was on, I made this (the white is actually pearlized paper)

Then this is all there was left!

We don't do paper kits (so far). I my my neighborhood there's a Paper Source. One of the reasons I go there is to get rolls of double-faced satin ribbon for my knitting projects. Oh, and scissors...and...um...stuff. Last week I bought a paper wreath kit and make it today. It was everything I adore about kits. It was just all there. In this case, a lot of die-cut pieces paper and a cardboard wreath form to attach it all to. I honestly think it came out better than on the package.

Yes, kits. I understand that not everyone lives in this big yarn, bead and craft store I call my apartment. But don't just sit there and be envious, buy a kit! This is what we're all about. I may not do any paper crafts that don't include pre-cut paper. But heck, when I'm doing it I feel like I've been handed that first little pile of construction paper scraps in kindergarten.

I've been so busy focused on the whole DIY thing these past months, I thought it would be really really boring, not to mention bad form, for me to use the same old tree ornaments. I also thought about my 19 year old cat with dementia, Brahms who has been getting into all sorts of odd trouble. She gets into dangerous things and causes me a fair amount of worry.

The tree I usually put up is a four foot artificial tree that goes up on a desk in the window. It's long since lost it's pre-strung lights. So, this year I bit the bullet and bought some LEDs. They seem to have come along a bit in the quality of the light they produce. So, white it was. I've always kinda made fun (in my head) of folks who do "theme" trees. I think they look great in stores, but they seem pretty impersonal.

This year I changed my mind. A year of big change and I wanted my tree to express that. Here we have the white satin bow, white glitter butterfly tree. It's best not to over-think these things. If is needs more pizazz by light of day, I may add something but now it's just right.

2 comments:

  1. Brandon has mentioned that the lights on our artificial tree (how bad is it that we went artificial in this tree land?) were flaky and I think your LEDs may help in transitioning them to new. He of course was thinking a new tree, I think new lights. ;-)

    Your tree is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love using the white butterflies on the tree-gorgeous! Nice kits too!

    ReplyDelete